The Cardiac Anesthesia Fellowship at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is a one-year, ACGME-accredited program that admits one fellow per year.
The Cardiac Anesthesia Fellowship is designed to prepare the fellow for a career specializing in providing comprehensive anesthetic care of patients undergoing complicated cardiac and thoracic procedures.
Eligible applicants should have completed an ACGME-approved anesthesiology residency program.
The cardiac anesthesia fellowship is focused on the tutoring of a prospective fellow for the perioperative transesophageal echocardiography examination (PTE). A prospective fellow also will be provided with an opportunity to perform, under appropriate supervision, a number of transesophageal echocardiograms (TEE) sufficient to satisfy the certification criteria of the American Board of Echocardiography in perioperative transesophageal echocardiography.
The fellow will be expected to:
- Perform and read TEEs under supervision of experienced echo cardiographers
- Participate in the echocardiography conferences given by the departments of cardiology and anesthesiology
- Teach anesthesia residents and medical students and/or participate in the on-going clinical research projects
The prospective fellow will be assigned to provide cardiothoracic anesthesia under the supervision of the attending cardiac anesthesiologist. Assignments may be individualized according to educational goals through the selection of elective rotations.
The division provides anesthetic care for approximately 500 patients per year. Patients undergo several surgeries including, coronary artery bypass grafting, including Off-pump CABG, valve repair and replacement, ventricular assist device implantation, heart transplant surgery and thoracic aortic aneurysm repairs. We also provide anesthetic care in about 300 complex pediatric cardiac procedures per year.
The division also plays an active role in the Cardiac Cath Lab and Hybrid Suite providing anesthetic care for critically ill patients undergoing high-risk procedures such as TAVR implantation, Mitraclip procedures, ICD lead extractions, ablation procedures and Watchman procedures.
By offering this high-quality fellowship program in cardiac anesthesia, it is the goal of the department and the division to train strong future leaders in clinical practice, scientific study and anesthetic education in preparation for an academic or private practice career.
- 10 fellow-led journal clubs
- 10 clinical case reviews
- 25 lectures (including TEE topics)
Clinical rotations are done in 13 four-week blocks.
- Seven blocks in the Adult Cardiothoracic operating rooms.
- One block with Cardiology for operating room TEEs and Cardiology TEEs in the Echo Lab
- One block in the Heart and Vascular Intensive Care Unit
- One block in the Adult Thoracic and Vascular operating rooms.
- One block performing TEEs in the operating rooms.
- Two blocks of electives.
Electives can include rotations within other departments. We also offer a research elective, which must be an IRB-approved protocol.
Register with the SF Match and submit application materials directly through the Common Application System within SF Match.
We encourage residents to apply as early as possible.
Penn State Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
500 University Drive, H187
Hershey, PA 17033
General Contact Information
Penn State Health also offers
Pain Medicine Fellowship
- Cardiovascular Disease Fellowship
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Fellowship
- Thoracic Surgery Fellowship
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology Fellowship
- Anesthesia Critical Care Fellowship
- Interventional Cardiology Fellowship
- Anesthesiology Residency
- Pediatric Cardiology Fellowship
- Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship