The Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship in State College, PA, is a one-year, ACGME-accredited program that admits one fellow per year.
Penn State Sports Medicine, part of Penn State Health, has been providing orthopaedics, sports medicine, physiatry and physical therapy services to the State College community and Penn State varsity athletes since 1992. The Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship, accredited by the ACGME, began in 2008. Medical services are provided in a convenient and modern facility adjacent to Penn State’s main University Park campus.
Fellows at Penn State Sports Medicine have the opportunity to participate directly in the surgical and non-surgical care of a variety of teams and groups of patients:
- 31 Division 1A Penn State sports teams
- Men’s and women’s rugby teams
- State College Spikes Minor League Baseball team
- Professional and recreational athletes
- Secondary Education Programs
Fellows play a role in onsite coverage for athletic teams based on scheduling demands, experience, and interest.
Other opportunities for fellows include:
- Research project development
- USTAF 50-mile championships and Special Olympics of Pennsylvania event coverage
- Diagnostic and interventional musculoskeletal ultrasound experience
Fellows further their teaching skills by lecturing and precepting medical students and family medicine residents.
The orthopaedic sports medicine fellow will gain OR and clinical experience in arthroscopic and open procedures:
- Biceps Tendon Repair
- Lateral Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction
- Tendinosis Surgery
- Triceps Tendon Repair
- Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction
- Foot and Ankle
- Achilles Tendon Repair
- Medial and Lateral Ligament Repair
- Femoral Acetabular Impingement Surgery (FAI)
- Labral Repair
- Labral Debridement
- Loose Body Removal
- Proximal Hamstring and Adductor Repair
- ACL Reconstruction
- LCL Reconstruction and Repair
- MCL Reconstruction and Repair
- PCL Reconstruction
- Articular Cartilage Surgery
- Meniscal Surgery
- Multiple Ligament Surgery
- Patellofemoral Surgery
- AC Joint Reconstruction
- Anterior, Posterior, Superior Labral Repair
- Articular Cartilage Surgery
- Biceps Tendon Surgery
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Shoulder Instability Reconstruction
Although education is the primary goal of the fellowship program, excellence and compassion in the care of our patients are equally important objectives. Scientific knowledge, combined with the ability to listen to patients and colleagues and communicate with them effectively, enables fellows to maximize their experience. We offer support and guidance as fellows work to reach their highest potential and render excellence in patient care.
The Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship Program uses the San Francisco Matching Services system for applicant selection.
Applications are reviewed beginning in October. Interviews are by invitation only and are typically scheduled in January.
Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship
Penn State Sports Medicine
1850 E. Park Ave., Suite 112
State College, PA 16803
Penn State Health also offers
- Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship (Hershey, PA)
- Orthopaedic Residency
- Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship (State College, PA)
- Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Fellowship
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship (State College, PA)
- Orthopaedic Trauma Fellowship
- Family and Community Medicine Residency (State College, PA)